Taekwon Do is suitable for men, women and children of all levels of fitness. If you visit our club you will see people of both sexes from different generations training together. It is wonderful to see the amount of parents and their children that take up martial arts at our club learning, bonding and growing together.
As a regular member of our club you will also gain:
A greater sense of wellbeing
Improved energy levels
Coordination and balance
Improved confidence and self-esteem
Effective self-defence techniques, an important life skill
Taekwon Do will help you feel more self-confident and have a strong mental attitude and is what sets it apart from many other types of activity. Our fun, challenging and supportive classes along with the grading system helps our students to stay motivated and see advancement and improvement.
In addition to the excellent personal skills that students develop, our students also know how to effectively protect and defend themselves in the event they are caught in an unfortunate situation.
We have a specific children class for ages 6 to 10 years old running along side our juniors and adult class so families can all train at the same time reducing disruption. These classes will teach young members martial arts in a fun engaging environment.
The first advantage of joining our club is the respect and self-discipline it teaches the children. Learning Taekwon Do at a young age will help them to develop excellent life skills and habits, respect and self-discipline.
We all like to think that our children are well behaved but it easy to come under the wrong influences in life and Taekwon Do is an excellent way to counteract this. This class is ideal for kids requiring “personal life skills” including self discipline, confidence, goal setting and respect. Our classes are a great way for your child to release extra energy in a safe, fun and constructive way.
As well as learning to defend themselves in a controlled safe environment, your child will benifit from our professional attitiude and positive role models. Prepare your child for real life, improving personal standards and self-discipline is important, let us assist you in this.
Improved attitude and personal standards
Improved moral code, respect and integrity
We have a new and modern approach to martial arts, effective self-defence and fitness centred around the highly effective martial art system of Taekwon-Do. Taekwon-Do is also an exciting competitive sport with Warwick TKD entering many regional and national competitions each year. We have been very successful in national tournaments, producing many national and international champions over the years.
The need to learn some form of self-defence is becoming increasingly more important in modern life. Our ultimate aim is to develop students that are able to protect themselves effectively on the street
We pride ourselves in running professionally run, successful, safe classes catering for all ages from all walks of life. We aim to enable this in a non-threatening, non-intimidating and stimulating fun learning environment whilst allowing you to gain personal growth and development as well as self-defence skills.
We offer an adults class and a children’s class, both running concurrently so families can train together at the same time.
We are affiliated to Taekwon Do-UK Association a leading UK association. Their web site can be found at www.tkd-uk.com
ANYONE! Taekwon-Do holds no barriers to gender, age, size or level of fitness. Children and adults alike are enjoying our classes and every one of them is getting something from it.
Whatever your goals may be for yourself or your family, whether you are looking to learn effective self-defence and personal protection skills, improve your self-confidence, fitness or simply if you wish to find a hobby you can take part in, we can help you.
We provide highly trained, qualified instructors and coaches supported by the best available resources and training venues.
As well as Warwick we also have other affiliated clubs in:
Taekwon Do is suitable for all ages, both men and women and children, we have members from 6 to 63 years old. Due to its progressive nature and grading system you get fitter as you progress so you don't have to be fit to start.
First and foremost you probably want to learn self-defence, to feel more confident as you walk down the street and in the unfortunate instance where you might have to use it that you are able to defend yourself effectively– people study martial arts for a variety of other reasons as well and Taekwon Do caters for all these:
To get fitter
Meet new people
Undertake a new hobby or skill
Improve attitude and personal standards
Improved moral code, respect and integrity
Have fun learning a new skill
The main difference between most martial arts style is focus. Some arts like Taekwon-Do focus on kicking and striking movements and are very relevant to the modern self-defence challenges, while others like Kendo and kung fu focus on a particular weapons and are more of an artistic form than an effective self-defence system.
Each martial art is also on a scale of formality to informality. Formality is a measure of emphasis on things like training etiquette, ceremony, style of dress, method of addressing seniors etc. Many Korean styles such as Taekwon Do are more formal. On the far end of the informal scale you might have a cardio kickboxing class at a local gym.
We feel our more formal style will build character and shape a strong state of mind that carries over into day to day life.
The following is a list of styles, there are many variations on the following, but this is meant as a guide to make you aware of the diversity of the martial arts:
ITF TaeKwon Do (Taught at Warwick TKD)
WTF TaeKwon Do (an Olympic games sport derivative)
Kendo / Kumdo
Tai Chi / Bagua / Hsing-yi
Arnis / Kali / Escima
The following are a list of things you should look for when choosing a school or instructor:
• When you call the school, are all your questions answered, and answered honestly? Sometimes someone will answer the phone that may not be able to answer all your questions. They should pass you on to someone who can , or have someone call you back.
• Every school out there should offer a free trial class before you sign up. How else can you determine if you want to study there! We do offer a free introduction class.
• When you visit the school, is the practice safe, or are students allowed to train in dangerous ways or without proper supervision? We have numerous highly proficient Instructors at every class.
• Do students and teachers show respect toward everyone? This extends beyond formal bowing and address to making sure everyone is learning and nobody is being abused.
• Be prepared that many schools these days require a contract like a health club. Make sure you are clear on the terms of the contract if you do decide to sign one, and do not be afraid to walk out if you are uncomfortable with the terms. We do not have any such contract.
• Be very wary of cult-like schools that try to up-sell you to intensified black belt programs and the like. While some of these may be legitimate, there are many scam artists and black belts out there. You should be very clear about what you are paying for up front.
• Are the Instructors experienced, do the instructors and senior students display a lot of skill in the art they are teaching? This may be hard to determine since great martial artists are often very subtle. However, the teacher and students should display knowledge and skill, which might be more obvious. Please take a look at our Instructor profiles which demonstrates the experience at our club.
• Most importantly, trust your instincts. If something about the school doesn’t sit right with you, then it probably isn’t right. Look out for the fast talking salesman who tries to sweep your concerns under the rug.
If you choose a school that you enjoy, you study with a teacher you like, and train with students that inspire you – you are likely to stick with your martial art. The longer you stick with it – the better you’ll get. Hopefully you will discover a very positive lifelong journey.
If you still choose our club after reading the above and after your research we very much look forward to meeting you and hopefully assisting you in your aspirations.
Many styles of martial arts are practiced for self-defence while some are primarily combat sports or just an art form, the issue is that a number of these arts are not effective and fit for use when it comes to having to utilise them in a confrontation situation!
At our clubs we take the self-defence element very seriously as this is generally the primary reason for a student taking up the art.
To provide more practical self-defence, we use a combination of highly effective martial arts techniques to give our students the best skill sets available to be able to protect themselves and enable them to walk the streets with confidence. We utilise a combination of techniques centred around a Taekwon Do foundation.
We feel that this will give our students the very best self-defence tool box for the street if you are unfortunate enough to have to use them. This would involve techniques such as striking and kicking techniques, joint locks, releases, take down and throwing techniques, defence against knife, machete and bottle attacks.
The Instructors at Warwick TKD have many years of experience in the martial arts and bring real life experience of what is required to protect yourself, this is one of the elements that sets Warwick TKD apart from many other clubs. Please take a look at our instructor profiles.
By fundamental nature, martial arts are contact sports. Due to their inherent dangers, martial arts should be practiced with care and responsibility, following proper guidelines and ensuring a safe environment.
We aim to make our training and environment as safe as we can. We do this by only having the best people teaching the classes who are fully qualified with many years of experience. As well as practicing safe technique with a high level of supervision, we also ensure that when sparring that all students wear full safety equipment including head guards to minimise as much risk as possible, we also don't tolerate any bullying or aggressive behaviour.
For a normal healthy person there should be no reason why you cant take up Taekwon Do with no issues at all.
As with any sport, it is highly recommended to consult with a physician before beginning participation if you have a clinical condition. Some conditions may be prohibitive or require a certain degree of management prior to training.
We ask every new student to complete a PARQ (physical activity readiness questionnaire) which will act to screen any potential risks, our Instructors are also trained in first aid should an accident occur.
We all know that being physically fit is good for us, but exactly why is physical fitness important?
Here are the top ten reasons:
1. YOU’RE MORE LIKELY TO LIVE A LONG AND HEALTHY LIFE: Regular exercise reduces the risk of developing heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer. It also reduces the risk of having a stroke. In one eight year study of more than 20,000 men, those who were lean but unfit had twice the risk of death as those who were lean and fit.
2. YOU’LL HAVE MORE ENERGY, STRENGTH AND STAMINA: People who complain that they don’t have enough energy to exercise fail to realize that working out gives you energy. In one study, middle-aged women who lifted weights for a year became 27% more active in daily life than before they started lifting weights. Regular exercise also increases your strength and stamina, allowing you to better handle common activities such as carrying a heavy bag of groceries or climbing a flight of stairs.
3. YOU’LL KEEP EXCESS BODY FAT OFF: If you try and lose weight simply by dieting, you’ll lose some muscle along with any body fat you lose and you’ll slow down your metabolism. If your weight loss program includes exercise, you’ll lose body fat without losing muscle and without slowing down your metabolism. If you’re currently at a healthy weight, regular exercise will help you avoid putting on excess body fat in the future.
4. YOU’LL KEEP YOUR BONES STRONG: Both men and women start losing bone mass around age 35. Impact exercise can not only stop the loss of bone mass, but in some cases it can even reverse it. This drastically reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
5. YOU’LL PREVENT OR REDUCE LOW BACK PAIN: Strengthening your abdominal and lower back muscles can help prevent low back pain, and it can also reduce discomfort if you already suffer from this pain. In one study, 35 of 38 people who had been recommended for back surgery were able to avoid surgery by following an aggressive strengthening program.
6. YOU’LL GET SICK LESS OFTEN: Exercise has been proven to strengthen the immune system.
7. YOU’LL SLEEP BETTER: People who exercise regularly fall asleep faster, have a deeper sleep and wake up less often during the night than people who are sedentary.
8. YOU’LL KEEP YOUR MIND SHARP: Multiple studies have confirmed that regular exercise is one of the best things you can do for your mind. Regular exercise improves brain function, which helps prevent dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
9. YOU’LL IMPROVE YOUR MOOD: A large amount of research shows that you have a better sense of well-being following a workout. Thanks to chemicals released in the brain during exercise, feelings of depression, anxiety, stress and anger are diminished during a workout.
10. YOU’LL ENJOY LIFE MORE: Life is much more enjoyable when you’re fit and healthy. You look and feel good and you’re more productive in everything you do.
Why is physical fitness important? Because many of the problems commonly associated with aging are often the result of a sedentary lifestyle and can be minimized or prevented by improving your physical fitness.
Taekwon Do is an excellent activity for improving both balance and flexibility. Here are the main benefits of improved flexibility: